-   -   Conditional formatting using weekday (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24922-conditional-formatting-using-weekday.html)

violasrbest

Conditional formatting using weekday

Hi

I want to shade a cell if the date shown is not a weekday. I know I need to
use conditional formatting, but I can't work out what formula to use.

Thanks

violasrbest

It's OK, I've sorted it now.

"violasrbest" wrote:

Hi

I want to shade a cell if the date shown is not a weekday. I know I need to
use conditional formatting, but I can't work out what formula to use.

Thanks

David

?B?dmlvbGFzcmJlc3Q=?= wrote

I want to shade a cell if the date shown is not a weekday. I know I
need to use conditional formatting, but I can't work out what formula
to use.

You say "the date", but if you have a column or row of dates, select them
all and apply Formula Is:

If column A
=WEEKDAY($A1,2)=6
If row 1
=WEEKDAY(A$1,2)=6

Choose desired format

--
David

David McRitchie

Hi David (Turner),
Glad you posted the solution, even though you would not
have had time to see that the original poster found
his own solution.

It seems to me that someone who asks a question, and then
says "never mind, I found the answer" is simply not sharing.
Someone might see the thread, and think I need that answer or
more likely find the thread in Google and want to know the answer and
it would not be there had you not answered. In fact that is one
of the points mentioned in Hints for New Posters
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
---
HTH,

"David" wrote in message ...
?B?dmlvbGFzcmJlc3Q=?= wrote

I want to shade a cell if the date shown is not a weekday. I know I
need to use conditional formatting, but I can't work out what formula
to use.

You say "the date", but if you have a column or row of dates, select them
all and apply Formula Is:

If column A
=WEEKDAY($A1,2)=6
If row 1
=WEEKDAY(A$1,2)=6

Choose desired format

--
David

David

David McRitchie wrote

Hi David (Turner),
Glad you posted the solution, even though you would not
have had time to see that the original poster found
his own solution.

It seems to me that someone who asks a question, and then
says "never mind, I found the answer" is simply not sharing.
Someone might see the thread, and think I need that answer or
more likely find the thread in Google and want to know the answer and
it would not be there had you not answered.

You've described precisely how and why *I* read newsgroups when not seeking
specific answers for my own projects.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
David