-   -   Update defined name ranges after sort (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/249002-update-defined-name-ranges-after-sort.html)

JFU

Update defined name ranges after sort

My application requires adding records (rows) on an ongoing basis, then
sorting on column A (Category). How do you get named ranges to update to
their new location after sorting? If I manually move a row, the referencing
hyperlink follows. However a data sort does not update the name pointer and
I have to go in and edit the range.

Jacob Skaria

Update defined name ranges after sort

InsertNameDefine give the name and use OFFSET() formula as below in refers

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"JFU" wrote:

My application requires adding records (rows) on an ongoing basis, then
sorting on column A (Category). How do you get named ranges to update to
their new location after sorting? If I manually move a row, the referencing
hyperlink follows. However a data sort does not update the name pointer and
I have to go in and edit the range.

Don Guillett

Update defined name ranges after sort

You can make them dynamic so they are self adjusting using OFFSET or match
or ....
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($a:$a),5)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"JFU" wrote in message
My application requires adding records (rows) on an ongoing basis, then
sorting on column A (Category). How do you get named ranges to update to
their new location after sorting? If I manually move a row, the
referencing
hyperlink follows. However a data sort does not update the name pointer
and
I have to go in and edit the range.

JFU

Update defined name ranges after sort