-   -   Wildcard in the Replace function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/248549-wildcard-replace-function.html)

User 100

Wildcard in the Replace function

This is a general question on the replace function. In the Find/Replace
dialog box, you can use wildcards to find text/formulas. There is not the
same capability to use it in the replace function. I would like the wildcard
to act as a placeholder. When I do the replace, I like to include some of the
text string to ensure that the correct part of the formula is changed.

So here is an example. The cell references are in brackets.
'=CustList$B14(B4) =CustList$C14 (C4) =CustList$D14 (D4)

In the replace part:
'=CustList$*20
The "*" would leave the current column references in place and change the
14 to 20.
Does Microsoft have plans to add this feature?

Jacob Skaria

Wildcard in the Replace function

Do you mean to replace *14 to *20. Try the below..Make sure from Find and
replaceoptionsLookin 'formulas' is selected

Find what
~*14

Replace with
*20

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"User 100" wrote:

This is a general question on the replace function. In the Find/Replace
dialog box, you can use wildcards to find text/formulas. There is not the
same capability to use it in the replace function. I would like the wildcard
to act as a placeholder. When I do the replace, I like to include some of the
text string to ensure that the correct part of the formula is changed.

So here is an example. The cell references are in brackets.
'=CustList$B14(B4) =CustList$C14 (C4) =CustList$D14 (D4)

In the replace part:
'=CustList$*20
The "*" would leave the current column references in place and change the
14 to 20.
Does Microsoft have plans to add this feature?

I always like to include some of the text string in the find. There could be a 20 at the beginning of the formula that I do not want changed. By listing CustList, it ensures that the correct part is replaced. I was hoping that this would have been addressed in Excel 2007.