-   -   conditional formating with text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/248546-conditional-formating-text.html)

snakey

conditional formating with text

I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in
coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in
brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and formatted
as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative
value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works.

Any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom[_3_]

conditional formating with text

If there cannot be any other parenthesizes then you can use

In the CF use formula is and

=ISNUMBER(FIND("(",A1))

Peo Sjoblom

"snakey" wrote in message
I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in
coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in
brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and
formatted
as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative
value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works.

Any ideas?

Jacob Skaria

conditional formating with text

1. Select the cell/Range (say b1:b10). Please note that the ROW reference 1
mentioned in the formula is the active ROW in the selection. Active cell will
have a white background even after selection

2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula

=AND(LEFT(A1,1)="(",RIGHT(A1,1)=")")

4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"snakey" wrote:

I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in
coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in
brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and formatted
as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative
value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works.

Any ideas?

snakey

conditional formating with text

Many thanks Jacob - works a treat!

"snakey" wrote:

I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in
coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in
brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and formatted
as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative
value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works.

Any ideas?

snakey

conditional formating with text

Thanks Peo, this also works, as does Jacobs suggestion - will now decide
which one to use!

"snakey" wrote in message
I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in
coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in
brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and
formatted
as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative
value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works.

Any ideas?

.

Peo Sjoblom[_3_]

conditional formating with text

If there can't be more than one left parenthesis in the cell which I assume
it is the case then I think mine is a tiny bit more robust since it is not
sensitive to an occasional misplaced leading space.

Peo Sjoblom