Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Check for text in multiple cells

Hello,

I would like to check multiple cells for a name and, if the name appears in
any of them, print that name to the destination cell. For instance, columns
A, C, E, G, and I contain names. I want to check A1, C1, E1, G1, and I1 for
"Bill" and, if "Bill" is present in any of the, print "Bill" in K1. Each
name should only appear in one of the columns in a row, so if "Bill' is in
C1, it won't be in A, E, G, or I 1.

Can this be done?
Thanks
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not elegant, but it will work:

=IF(IF(A1="Bill",1,0)+IF(C1="Bill",1,0)+IF(E1="Bil l",1,0)+IF(G1="Bill",1,0)+IF(I1="Bill",1,0)=1,"Jus t One Bill","")

of course you could substitute a cell address where you'd type in a name for
"Bill" in all of the formulas.

"tommcbrny" wrote:

Hello,

I would like to check multiple cells for a name and, if the name appears in
any of them, print that name to the destination cell. For instance, columns
A, C, E, G, and I contain names. I want to check A1, C1, E1, G1, and I1 for
"Bill" and, if "Bill" is present in any of the, print "Bill" in K1. Each
name should only appear in one of the columns in a row, so if "Bill' is in
C1, it won't be in A, E, G, or I 1.

Can this be done?
Thanks
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try the below formula in cell K1

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(A1:I1),2)=1)*(A1:I1="Bi ll")),"Bill","")

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria