-   -   Identify text nums in scrambled fashion (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/248172-identify-text-nums-scrambled-fashion.html)

Max

Identify text nums in scrambled fashion

All nums are text nums

In A1:A3 would be 3 "winning" 4-digit text numbers, eg:

0044
1234
4233

In C1 down will be input 4 digit text nums such as:

0440
4120
2343
3324
etc

If the text nums in C1 down happen to contain the same 4 digits as in any of
the 3 winners in A1:A3, then to indicate an "x" in adjacent col D (otherwise
just leave it blank)

For the sample data, the results in col D would be:

0440 - x
4120
2343 - x
3324 - x

I'm game for any formula, udf or vba solution which can do the above
Insights welcomed. Thanks

T. Valko

Identify text nums in scrambled fashion

Try this...

Assuming there are no empty cells within the range A1:A3.

In the formula, Nums refers to the range A$1:A$3.

Entered in D1 and copied down as needed:

=IF(FREQUENCY(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE (SUBSTITUTE(Nums,MID(C1,1,1),"",1),MID(C1,2,1),"", 1),MID(C1,3,1),"",1),MID(C1,4,1),"",1)),0),"x","")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
[...]