-   -   Referring to cells on a different worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/247989-referring-cells-different-worksheet.html)

GARY

Referring to cells on a different worksheet

My workbook has two worksheets:
ALL BILLS
BY TYPE OF BILL

On the TYPE OF BILL worksheet, the values of cells
E8 = 320
E22 = 0
E36 = 0
E50 = 30

On the ALL BILLS tab, I've typed this formula:
=SUM('BY TYPE OF BILL'!E8+E22+E36+E50)

however, the result is 320 not 350.

What's wrong?

Gord Dibben

Referring to cells on a different worksheet

What your current formula syntax does is SUM(TYPE OF BILL!E8) plus E22, E36
and E50 of ALL BILLS sheet because you have not qualified E22, E36 and E50
with a sheet reference.

=SUM('BY TYPE OF BILL'!E8:E50) will return 350

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:45:27 -0800 (PST), GARY
wrote:

My workbook has two worksheets:
ALL BILLS
BY TYPE OF BILL

On the TYPE OF BILL worksheet, the values of cells
E8 = 320
E22 = 0
E36 = 0
E50 = 30

On the ALL BILLS tab, I've typed this formula:
=SUM('BY TYPE OF BILL'!E8+E22+E36+E50)

however, the result is 320 not 350.

What's wrong?

Fred Smith[_4_]

Referring to cells on a different worksheet

The best way to enter formulas is to get Excel to enter your cell addresses.
In your example, you would do the following:

1. Type: =
2. Navigate to the cells you want to sum (ie, click on the tab of the other
sheet, and highlight E8
3. Type: +
4. Navigate to the next cell
5. Etc.

You will see Excel create the formula in the formula bar.

Once you learn this feature, you will never type a cell address again.

Regards,
Fred

"GARY" wrote in message
My workbook has two worksheets:
ALL BILLS
BY TYPE OF BILL

On the TYPE OF BILL worksheet, the values of cells
E8 = 320
E22 = 0
E36 = 0
E50 = 30

On the ALL BILLS tab, I've typed this formula:
=SUM('BY TYPE OF BILL'!E8+E22+E36+E50)

however, the result is 320 not 350.

What's wrong?

GARY

Referring to cells on a different worksheet

Thanks Fred.