-   -   Different cells that need to sum in one (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/247868-different-cells-need-sum-one.html)

Cbdavis

Different cells that need to sum in one

I have one cell that needs to contain the possible sum of cell
(A1*B1) or (C1*D1) or (E1*F1) but only one of the 3 possibles
For example :
A1 is $10.00 B1 is QTY 1 Sum is $10.00
C1 is $8.00 D1 is QTY 1 Sum is $8.00
E1 is $7.00 F1 is QTY 1 Sum is $7.00

Also would be nice if I could allow only 2 of the cells to contain numbers
at a time
(A1 and B1) or (C1 And D1) ETC and not allow more than one set to give the
sum

Jacob Skaria

Different cells that need to sum in one

--You can try the below formula. (all in one line)

=IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,A1*B1,IF(COUNT(C1:D1)=2,C1*D1,
IF(COUNT(E1:F1)=2,E1*F1,0)))

--Also to make sure you have only two numbers entered you can set data
validation for this range.. Select A1:F1 . From menu DataValidationselect
'Custom' and copy paste the below formula.

=COUNT($A$1:$F$1)<3

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cbdavis" wrote:

I have one cell that needs to contain the possible sum of cell
(A1*B1) or (C1*D1) or (E1*F1) but only one of the 3 possibles
For example :
A1 is $10.00 B1 is QTY 1 Sum is $10.00
C1 is $8.00 D1 is QTY 1 Sum is $8.00
E1 is $7.00 F1 is QTY 1 Sum is $7.00

Also would be nice if I could allow only 2 of the cells to contain numbers
at a time
(A1 and B1) or (C1 And D1) ETC and not allow more than one set to give the
sum

Cbdavis

Different cells that need to sum in one

That worked Great !
What if I want to continue that formula in the next rows below that
throughout the sheet?

"Cbdavis" wrote:

I have one cell that needs to contain the possible sum of cell
(A1*B1) or (C1*D1) or (E1*F1) but only one of the 3 possibles
For example :
A1 is $10.00 B1 is QTY 1 Sum is $10.00
C1 is $8.00 D1 is QTY 1 Sum is $8.00
E1 is $7.00 F1 is QTY 1 Sum is $7.00

Also would be nice if I could allow only 2 of the cells to contain numbers
at a time
(A1 and B1) or (C1 And D1) ETC and not allow more than one set to give the
sum

Jacob Skaria

Different cells that need to sum in one

--Copy the IF() formula down..

--Select the range and set the data validation...Slight change in the formula
=COUNT($A1:$F1)<3

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cbdavis" wrote:

I have one cell that needs to contain the possible sum of cell
(A1*B1) or (C1*D1) or (E1*F1) but only one of the 3 possibles
For example :
A1 is $10.00 B1 is QTY 1 Sum is $10.00
C1 is $8.00 D1 is QTY 1 Sum is $8.00
E1 is $7.00 F1 is QTY 1 Sum is $7.00

Also would be nice if I could allow only 2 of the cells to contain numbers
at a time
(A1 and B1) or (C1 And D1) ETC and not allow more than one set to give the
sum

Cbdavis

Different cells that need to sum in one

I can not get the validation to work correctly.

It will not allow me to enter any value when I use the function below
=COUNT($A$1:$F$1)<3

Is it because there are cells in between the range I am using?
I would like to have data entered in either F7, H7or J7
There is data in E7, G7 and I7 already