-   -   Using Intersecting Names for lookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/247837-using-intersecting-names-lookup.html)

GF

Using Intersecting Names for lookup

I have a table like below:

A B C D
X 1 2 3 5
Y 6 7 8 9
Z 10 11 12 13

with names defined by top row and left column. If I input in a cell the
formula "=X B", it will give the intersecting cell's value - 2.

If now in two cells I separately put X and B (say D1, D2 respectively), is
it possible to write a formual that get the cells' content and interpret it
as intersecting names - i.e. give 2? I tried "=D1 D2" and it gives a #NULL!
error.

Thanks in advance!

Niek Otten

Using Intersecting Names for lookup

=INDIRECT(D1) INDIRECT(D2)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"gf" wrote in message
I have a table like below:

A B C D
X 1 2 3 5
Y 6 7 8 9
Z 10 11 12 13

with names defined by top row and left column. If I input in a cell the
formula "=X B", it will give the intersecting cell's value - 2.

If now in two cells I separately put X and B (say D1, D2 respectively), is
it possible to write a formual that get the cells' content and interpret
it
as intersecting names - i.e. give 2? I tried "=D1 D2" and it gives a
#NULL!
error.

Thanks in advance!

GF