-   -   Rows to columns in a table or pivot table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/247335-rows-columns-table-pivot-table.html)

Jesper Audi

Rows to columns in a table or pivot table

Lets say I have 500 business cards in a spreadsheet and alongside my
'details' column I code each part according to whether it is 'name', 'add1',
'add2', 'add3', ' tel no' etc.

What is the easiest way to transpose the information so that for every name
(one name for each row) I can have get the 1st line of the address in the
add1 column, 2nd line in the add2 etc.

Bear in mind I do not always have an add3 or a tel no.

Effectively I want to do a pivot table, but rather than calculate a value, i
just want the correct text to appear.

Or if in a table I want to switch rows and columns.

But I just can't work out how to do it, without ensuring all my addresses
have the right number of fields and then using a formula.

Help appreciated (Excel 2007 or 2002)

Jim Thomlinson

Rows to columns in a table or pivot table

I'm lost... Can you post a sample of your data (how it looks now) and what
you would like it to look in the end.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jesper Audi" wrote:

Lets say I have 500 business cards in a spreadsheet and alongside my
'details' column I code each part according to whether it is 'name', 'add1',
'add2', 'add3', ' tel no' etc.

What is the easiest way to transpose the information so that for every name
(one name for each row) I can have get the 1st line of the address in the
add1 column, 2nd line in the add2 etc.

Bear in mind I do not always have an add3 or a tel no.

Effectively I want to do a pivot table, but rather than calculate a value, i
just want the correct text to appear.

Or if in a table I want to switch rows and columns.

But I just can't work out how to do it, without ensuring all my addresses
have the right number of fields and then using a formula.

Help appreciated (Excel 2007 or 2002)

Jesper Audi

Rows to columns in a table or pivot table

Lets say I have 2 business cards with tel nos, either main or direct

field order field Details
1 name Adrian Briggs
2 main tel +44 (0)161 927 8200
1 name Ajaz Chaudhri
3 direct tel +44 (0)161 927 8305

All I want is a speradsheets nthat puts the right info under the correct
column

1 2
3
name main tel direct tel
Adrian Briggs +44 (0)161 927 8200
Ajaz Chaudhri +44 (0)161 927
8305

Actually I have 22 fields, but each business card actually has different
fields which I have coded up 1-22.

If this is not clear, am I able to put in a screen shot??

Thanks

Jesper

Jesper Audi

Rows to columns in a table or pivot table

Actually that did not work out very well.

What I would then want to see is 3 columns, 1,2,3
Name, Main Tel, Direct Tel

So I would have two names in colA, one showing the main tel number in colb
and the other one showing nothing in col B but the direct tel number in col c

Hope this helps
Jesper

Herbert Seidenberg

Rows to columns in a table or pivot table

Excel 2007 Tables
Rows to Columns.
Like PivotTable action, but with text.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/11qwnjtjjzn/11_03_09.xlsx