-   -   Changing Decimal Places for Multiplication (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/247045-changing-decimal-places-multiplication.html)

Glen Davidson

Changing Decimal Places for Multiplication

I use 4 place numbers in my investment calulations but the last number to be
multiplyed by the the number of shares is a 2 place decimal but the
calculation still give me the 4 place multiplication.

Example:

shares price/share +.245 change to 2 dec
Value(shares*10.85)
1500 10.6000 10.8450 10.85 16267.5

I want 10.85 x 1500 which would be16275 not the 16267.5

Thanks

Glen

Bob Umlas[_3_]

Changing Decimal Places for Multiplication

=ROUND(C2,2)*A2
instead of =C2*A2

"Glen Davidson" <Glen wrote in message
I use 4 place numbers in my investment calulations but the last number to
be
multiplyed by the the number of shares is a 2 place decimal but the
calculation still give me the 4 place multiplication.

Example:

shares price/share +.245 change to 2 dec
Value(shares*10.85)
1500 10.6000 10.8450 10.85 16267.5

I want 10.85 x 1500 which would be16275 not the 16267.5

Thanks

Glen

dlw

Changing Decimal Places for Multiplication

when excel does the calculation, it uses the underlying number, not the
formatted number you see. to get the result, use =round(B3,2), if B3 is the
cell where 10.8450 is.