-   -   troubleshoot Highlight (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24663-troubleshoot-highlight.html)

AVM

troubleshoot Highlight

When I open a new spread sheet the highlight goes crazy all over the page and
I cant stop it. To get out of it I always need to use Ctrl.Alt.Del.
Now I cannot use excel period, due to this malfunaction. Can anyone help me.
Thanks

AVM

Gord Dibben

AVM

A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
of times.

F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode. SHIFT + F8 will put you
in "ADD" mode.

With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse. This is used to select
non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag. All cells will be selected.

If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"AVM" wrote:

When I open a new spread sheet the highlight goes crazy all over the page and
I cant stop it. To get out of it I always need to use Ctrl.Alt.Del.
Now I cannot use excel period, due to this malfunaction. Can anyone help me.
Thanks

AVM

Hi Gord,

Thanks very much for your very quick response to my problem.....sure do
appreciate your help ..... thanks a lot
AVM