-   -   Look Up and provide multiple result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/246437-look-up-provide-multiple-result.html)

nsd

Look Up and provide multiple result

Hello again,

I tried to post this, however I don't find it under my postings, hence
sending it again.

---
I have a worksheet in the following format

Name Week Total
Jon 4-Sep 1
Philip 4-Sep 2
Dan 4-Sep 3
James 4-Sep 4
Jon 25-Sep 5
James 11-Sep 6
Philip 11-Sep 6
Dan 18-Sep 7
James 18-Sep 8
Philip 25-Sep 8

I want to creat a look up in a different sheet where one can Look up for
individuals Total by week as under

Case 1
Look up = Philip
The result should appear as

Week 4-Sep 11-Sep 25-Sep
Total 2 6 8

& Case 2
Look up = Jon
The result should appear as
Week 4-Sep 25-Sep
Total 1 5

I tried to use Vlookup, Index/match, but didn't able to achieve what i
wanted. If you can help witha formula to get the desired result.

Also, since the data I have has multiple weeks info - if I can get last 4
week info. would be great.

Regards,
Dinesh

smartin

nsd wrote:
[...]

Hi Dinesh,

VLookup and Index are not an efficient tools for returning multiple
results.

However, the format & function you describe is (almost) exactly what a
pivot table can do for you; I suggest you give that a try. To
automatically filter on [last 4 weeks] you can add a calculated column
to your pivot table data that returns true or false based on the date
column.

Does this make sense?

Gary''s Student

Look Up and provide multiple result

Check this out:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200908

"smartin" wrote:

nsd wrote:
[...]

.

smartin

Look Up and provide multiple result

Gary''s Student wrote:
Check this out:

Leave it to Ashish! Another great source for this kind of solution is

http://www.get-digital-help.com/

My preference would still be the pivot table (^:

Herbert Seidenberg

Look Up and provide multiple result

Excel 2007 Pivot Table
As suggested by smartin: