-   -   Large Spreadsheet Too Slow 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/246304-large-spreadsheet-too-slow-2003-a.html)

Keith

Large Spreadsheet Too Slow 2003

Hi, we have an 80 mg spreadsheet which takes about 20 to recalculate with
Excel 2003 on a quad core Dell PC. Task manager of course shows that it is
only useing 25% of the processor to do the recalc. This runs 2 times / hours
24 x 7. Is it possible to dedicate more cores? How much will that improve
the recalc time?

Thanks

Charles Williams

Large Spreadsheet Too Slow 2003

Excel 2007 will use multi-threaded calculation to improve recalc speed on
multi-core nachines, but much larger improvements are usually possible by
finding and improving the calculation hotspots/bottlenecks.

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"Keith" wrote in message
Hi, we have an 80 mg spreadsheet which takes about 20 to recalculate with
Excel 2003 on a quad core Dell PC. Task manager of course shows that it
is
only useing 25% of the processor to do the recalc. This runs 2 times /
hours
24 x 7. Is it possible to dedicate more cores? How much will that
improve
the recalc time?

Thanks

Bill Sharpe

Keith wrote:
Hi, we have an 80 mg spreadsheet which takes about 20 to recalculate with
Excel 2003 on a quad core Dell PC. Task manager of course shows that it is
only useing 25% of the processor to do the recalc. This runs 2 times / hours
24 x 7. Is it possible to dedicate more cores? How much will that improve
the recalc time?

Thanks

takes about 20 "what" to recalculate?
seconds -- not that bad
minutes -- I'd worry

As someone else pointed out there are ways to improve calculations, but
I'd look at reducing the size of the spreadsheet as a first approach.

Bill