-   -   Hyperlinks ignoring file accosiations (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24553-hyperlinks-ignoring-file-accosiations.html)

David Clements

Hyperlinks ignoring file accosiations

When I click on a hyperlink to a jpeg file in Exel 2003 the file opens in
internet explorer whatever the file accosiations are set too. I assume there
is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens files with but
cant find this.

Thanks

David C

Jim Rech

I assume there is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens
files

No, it's controlled by your Windows file associations. In Windows
Explorer - Tools, Folder Options, File Types.

--
Jim
"David Clements" <David wrote in message
| When I click on a hyperlink to a jpeg file in Exel 2003 the file opens in
| internet explorer whatever the file accosiations are set too. I assume
there
| is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens files with but
| cant find this.
|
| Thanks
|
| David C

David Clements

The problem is that Excel is ignoring the windows file associations which I
have set in the menu you describe.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

I assume there is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens
files

No, it's controlled by your Windows file associations. In Windows
Explorer - Tools, Folder Options, File Types.

--
Jim
"David Clements" <David wrote in message
| When I click on a hyperlink to a jpeg file in Exel 2003 the file opens in
| internet explorer whatever the file accosiations are set too. I assume
there
| is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens files with but
| cant find this.
|
| Thanks
|
| David C

Jim Rech

When I click a hyperlink to a JPEG in Excel it opens the jpeg in the Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer which is exactly what happens when I double-click a
JPEG from Explorer. I don't know how this can be overridden within Excel as
you seem to be experiencing. Make sure the association is correct for both
JPEG and JPG files. When you double-click in Windows Explorer what app
responds?

--
Jim
"David Clements" <David wrote in message
| The problem is that Excel is ignoring the windows file associations which
| have set in the menu you describe.
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I assume there is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it
opens
| files
|
| No, it's controlled by your Windows file associations. In Windows
| Explorer - Tools, Folder Options, File Types.
|
| --
| Jim
| "David Clements" <David
wrote in
message
| | When I click on a hyperlink to a jpeg file in Exel 2003 the file opens
in
| | internet explorer whatever the file accosiations are set too. I assume
| there
| | is a setting somewhere within Exel to change what it opens files with
but
| | cant find this.
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | David C

David Clements

Normally ACDSee7(www.acdsystems.com), but I have tried changing it to paint
and Windows Picutre and Fax Viewer. In both cases it works when opening the
file from explorer but not Excel.