-   -   Drop Down Total Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/245278-drop-down-total-function.html)

kj0601

Drop Down Total Function

I have created a drop down menu & would like to total the responses by fruit.
For example, i have the drop down options being:
apple
orange
banana
peach
I would like a total number of each fruit chosen. I think this is a vlookup
formula, but i am cross-eyed trying to find this simple formula!
thanks.

Pete_UK

Drop Down Total Function

Assuming your drop-down is in A1, and that your fruits are listed in
column C, you could put this in B1:

=COUNTIF(C:C,A1)

Hope this helps.

Pete