-   -   linking within a workbook and sorting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/244945-linking-within-workbook-sorting.html)

bmac

linking within a workbook and sorting

I have an issue whereby I have linked cell in Sheet 2 that's linked to Sheet
1. When the sheet1 area sorts, my cell in Sheet 2 looses the data I want to
capture.

sheet1 below has this list, cell C4 has range name 'detail3'

A B C
line details number
4 detail 4 103
3 detail 3 102
2 detail 2 100
1 detail 1 99

In Sheet 2.C3 there is a link to Sheet1.C4.
When I sort Sheet1 list my Sheet 2 doesn't capture the data I want.

--
bmac

JP[_4_]

linking within a workbook and sorting

Use range names. If you name Sheet1!C4, then use the range name in
Sheet2!C3 when referring to the cell on sheet 1, you can resort Sheet
1 and preserve the reference.

--JP

On Oct 8, 9:09*am, bmac wrote:
I have an issue whereby I have linked cell in Sheet 2 that's linked to Sheet
1. When the sheet1 area sorts, my cell in Sheet 2 looses the data I want to
capture.

sheet1 below has this list, cell C4 has range name 'detail3'

A * * * * * * * * B * * * * * * C
line * *details number
4 * * * detail 4 * * * *103
3 * * * detail 3 * * * *102
2 * * * detail 2 * * * *100
1 * * * detail 1 * * * *99

In Sheet 2.C3 there is a link to Sheet1.C4. *
When I sort Sheet1 list my Sheet 2 doesn't capture the data I want.

bmac

linking within a workbook and sorting

Hi JP
thanks for responding, however something is not working.
In Sheet1. c4 I gave the range name. I went to Sheet2 and entered =nameLine2

I went back to Sheet1 and resorted the data.. Sheet2 kept the location, but
the cell I want to keep was sorted at the bottom..

I want to be able to link a Sheet1 cell (contents being 101), in a Sheet 2
cell, that has =namelink2 - wherever that Sheet1 cell moves - I want my
Sheet2 cell to still be that results, contents being 101.

--
bmac