-   -   Excel doesn't open up when double-clicking the file in Explorer (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/244449-excel-doesnt-open-up-when-double-clicking-file-explorer.html)

Ming[_2_]

Excel doesn't open up when double-clicking the file in Explorer

When double-clicking an excel file in Window Explorer, Excel normally opens
up the file automatically. This is working fine on my PC usually. However, if
I have an Excel process running in background (generating reports in silent
mode), double-clicking the file doesn't work. Sometimes (very rare) it comes
up, but mostly you see nothing.

If I open up Excel application first, then use its menu to open the file,
then there is no problem.

I found similar complains on the Internet, but most of them happen under
"normal" conditions. On my machine, it works fine under "normal" conditions.

Any idea?

JP[_4_]

Excel doesn't open up when double-clicking the file in Explorer

It's probably because Excel is running (I assume VBA) in the
background.

Try adding a DoEvents Function call to your code, to give control back
to the OS temporarily.

--JP

On Oct 2, 3:30*pm, Ming wrote:
When double-clicking an excel file in Window Explorer, Excel normally opens
up the file automatically. This is working fine on my PC usually. However, if
I have an Excel process running in background (generating reports in silent
mode), double-clicking the file doesn't work. Sometimes (very rare) it comes
up, but mostly you see nothing.

If I open up Excel application first, then use its menu to open the file,
then there is no problem.

I found similar complains on the Internet, but most of them happen under
"normal" conditions. On my machine, it works fine under "normal" conditions.

Any idea?

Simon Murphy[_2_]

Excel doesn't open up when double-clicking the file in Explorer

Ming
Maybe your code has set Excel to ignore remote requests, which is
probably reasonable if you have a process running.

Cheers
Simon
Excel development website: www.codematic.net