-   -   Remove asterisk from column with text only (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/243526-remove-asterisk-column-text-only.html)

Anna

Remove asterisk from column with text only

I am using Excel 2003 - I have a spreadsheet which I imported from my Outlook
contacts. Most of the names came over with an "*" at the end and I need to
remove it because I am using this list to create labels.

When I go into Find & Replace, replace all removes the WHOLE name in the
cell. Is there a macro or formula I can use to remove the asterisk?

Thanks!

Sean Timmons

Remove asterisk from column with text only

You can use ~* to find an actual asterisk.

So Find ~* replace with and leave blank.

Alternately, you can have a helper column that will be LEFT(A2,len(A2)-1),
copy down to bottom, then copy and paste special/values on top of yoru name
column.

First way may be a lot easier and quicker.

"Anna" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 - I have a spreadsheet which I imported from my Outlook
contacts. Most of the names came over with an "*" at the end and I need to
remove it because I am using this list to create labels.

When I go into Find & Replace, replace all removes the WHOLE name in the
cell. Is there a macro or formula I can use to remove the asterisk?

Thanks!

Dave Peterson

Remove asterisk from column with text only

Just to add to Sean's response...

If you want to replace an asterisk character, use ~* in the from string.
If you want to replace a question mark, use ~? in the from string.
If you want to replace a tilde (~), use ~~ in the from string.

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Remove asterisk from column with text only

* is a wildcard.

Preface your search string with a Tilde

~*

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:06:05 -0700, Anna
wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 - I have a spreadsheet which I imported from my Outlook
contacts. Most of the names came over with an "*" at the end and I need to
remove it because I am using this list to create labels.

When I go into Find & Replace, replace all removes the WHOLE name in the
cell. Is there a macro or formula I can use to remove the asterisk?

Thanks!

Anna

Remove asterisk from column with text only

Thanks guys! I am going to use ~ the next. I was in a rush so I copied the
spreadsheet into Word, replaced the * with a blank. When it worked I copied
and pasted it back into Excel - too many steps but in a pinch it worked.

Take care, Anna