-   -   Adding 2 columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/243097-adding-2-columns.html)

terry

Adding 2 columns

I have a spreadsheet that I update every month. I have a formula to cell A1
but what I need to do is add it to cell B1 and get the results in cell B1. Is
there such a thing.

Example A1 = 23 B1 = 2 When the number in A1 changes I need it to be added
to the number in B1 so then B1 would update to 25. Can this be done?

I am using Office 2003 thanks

Gord Dibben

Adding 2 columns

Sounds like you want to have your B1 cell as an accumulator.

It is possible but not easy to error-check because you would have no "paper
trail" for checking.

Best to use an extra column...........you have many of them on a sheet.

Use that column for keeping a running total based on ins and outs.

If you must accumulate in one cell see John McGimpsey's site but heed the
caveats.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP