-   -   how do i enter a negative number sequence with spaces in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/242973-how-do-i-enter-negative-number-sequence-spaces-excel.html)

belbeason

how do i enter a negative number sequence with spaces in excel

I need to enter latitude/longitude numbers into excel spreadsheet. So I need
to begin a cell with a "-" with spaces also. Excel keeps trying to make it a
formula. For example I need to enter into a cell "-89 66 58".

Luke M

how do i enter a negative number sequence with spaces in excel

Possible ideas:

Format cell as text first, and then input data.

Use a custom number format of
00 00 00
and input your numbers without spaces.

Or, type a single quotation mark before you begin typing
as entered in formula bar:
'-89 66 55
will display:
-89 66 55