-   -   Disk Letter Assignment (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/242941-disk-letter-assignment.html)

Rick

Disk Letter Assignment

I am using Office 2003 with Windows XP.

I recently moved all my data files to a flash disk. When I did so, I
reassigned my various Office components (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) to that new
drive (Identified as Drive H, using the Options dialogue box. All worked
fine.

When I restarted my computer, the drive designation was changed from H to O.
I reassigned Word and Powerpoint to Disk O; but Excel will not allow me to
do anything on the Options dialogue box, indicating it can't find Disk H.

How do I get past this so I can reassign Excel to Disk O?

Bob I

Disk Letter Assignment

Bad maneuver. Working off a removable drive like that is going to cause
data loss. Just a matter of when it happens. Removable drive letters
will be assigned as necessary depending on what and when the operating
system sees them.

Rick wrote:

I am using Office 2003 with Windows XP.

I recently moved all my data files to a flash disk. When I did so, I
reassigned my various Office components (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) to that new
drive (Identified as Drive H, using the Options dialogue box. All worked
fine.

When I restarted my computer, the drive designation was changed from H to O.
I reassigned Word and Powerpoint to Disk O; but Excel will not allow me to
do anything on the Options dialogue box, indicating it can't find Disk H.

How do I get past this so I can reassign Excel to Disk O?

Rick

Disk Letter Assignment

I understand that the drive letter may change. But I should be able to
update Excel with the new drive when I need to. Word and Powerpoint allow
it. But Excel does not.

How can I get Excel to allow it?

Rick wrote:

I am using Office 2003 with Windows XP.

I recently moved all my data files to a flash disk. When I did so, I
reassigned my various Office components (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) to that new
drive (Identified as Drive H, using the Options dialogue box. All worked
fine.

When I restarted my computer, the drive designation was changed from H to O.
I reassigned Word and Powerpoint to Disk O; but Excel will not allow me to
do anything on the Options dialogue box, indicating it can't find Disk H.

How do I get past this so I can reassign Excel to Disk O?

Gary''s Student

Disk Letter Assignment

Don't let Windows push you around!

You can control the assigned drive letter:

Connect the drive and right-click the My Computer icon

Manage Storage Disk Management right-click the drive Change Drive
Letters and paths...

This will help to insure a constant letter is used.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200903