-   -   How do I stop Excel from making copies of files? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24275-how-do-i-stop-excel-making-copies-files.html)

wlewismba

How do I stop Excel from making copies of files?

About three or four of my Excel 2003 files keep making copies of themselves
and the more files I delete, the more copies they make. I have over 200
copies of these files on my hard drive. how do I get these bunnies to stop
multiplying?

Dave Peterson

I've never seen any version of excel do this. Can you describe how they get
made?

In fact, before you do that, try opening excel in safe mode:

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe

Then file|open one of the "parent" workbooks.

Then do whatever you do to cause the offspring. Did you get a litter this time?

If no, then maybe there's a runaway "helpful" macro that's misbehaving. Any
chance you can talk to the developer to see what's going on?

If yes, what are the names of those children?

--

Dave Peterson