-   -   Nested if with "wild card" (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/242742-nested-if-wild-card.html)

mldancing

Nested if with "wild card"

Would really appreciate it if you can help with the following nested if
example:

Example:

A1 B1
Large 2009 100
Medium 2009 200
Medium 2008 500
Large 2008 300
Other 2009 400

I want to set up a nested if formula to pick up the value in B1 if there is
the word
"Large" in A1 or if there's "Medium" in A1, else enter zero.

I was going with this but it didn't work:
=if(or(A1="Large*",A1="Medium*"),B1,0)

Can someone help? Thank you.

Bill Kuunders

Nested if with "wild card"

something like

=IF(OR(LEFT(A1,4)="Larg",LEFT(A1,4)="medi"),B1,0)

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"mldancing" wrote in message
Would really appreciate it if you can help with the following nested if
example:

Example:

A1 B1
Large 2009 100
Medium 2009 200
Medium 2008 500
Large 2008 300
Other 2009 400

I want to set up a nested if formula to pick up the value in B1 if there
is
the word
"Large" in A1 or if there's "Medium" in A1, else enter zero.

I was going with this but it didn't work:
=if(or(A1="Large*",A1="Medium*"),B1,0)

Can someone help? Thank you.

mldancing

Nested if with "wild card"

Thank you for you reply. In this example this formula would work.

Is it possible to use a wild card? 'cause there could be other combination
of description
such as Extra Large or Medium Small.

Thank you.

"mldancing" wrote in message
Would really appreciate it if you can help with the following nested if
example:

Example:

A1 B1
Large 2009 100
Medium 2009 200
Medium 2008 500
Large 2008 300
Other 2009 400

I want to set up a nested if formula to pick up the value in B1 if there
is
the word
"Large" in A1 or if there's "Medium" in A1, else enter zero.

I was going with this but it didn't work:
=if(or(A1="Large*",A1="Medium*"),B1,0)

Can someone help? Thank you.

barry houdini[_30_]

Nested if with "wild card"

You can't use a wildcard with comparison operators like =, try using
COUNTIF

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1,{"*large*","*medium*"})),B1,"")

regards, barry

--
barry houdini
barry houdini's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=72

Dave Peterson

Nested if with "wild card"

Bill's formula only looks at the first 4 characters in the cell (=left(a1,4)).
So you don't need a wild card.