-   -   If "xxxx" is in a cell, then TRUE (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24227-if-%22xxxx%22-cell-then-true.html)

Tommy Boy

If "xxxx" is in a cell, then TRUE

I want to look at a cell and if the word "ave" appears anywhere in the cell
then I want a return of TRUE.

I think that EXACT, OR or IF will work somehow but I want true if the word
is "old ave', "1735 fairmont avenue" or "good aver", not only "ave" by itself.

Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ave",A1))

Biff

"Tommy Boy" wrote in message
I want to look at a cell and if the word "ave" appears anywhere in the cell
then I want a return of TRUE.

I think that EXACT, OR or IF will work somehow but I want true if the word
is "old ave', "1735 fairmont avenue" or "good aver", not only "ave" by
itself.

Alan

One way
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("ave",A1)),FALSE,TRUE)
"Tommy Boy" wrote in message
I want to look at a cell and if the word "ave" appears anywhere in the cell
then I want a return of TRUE.

I think that EXACT, OR or IF will work somehow but I want true if the word
is "old ave', "1735 fairmont avenue" or "good aver", not only "ave" by
itself.

Dave Peterson

One more...

=COUNTIF(A1,"*ave*")0