-   -   Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/241981-function.html)

Ronnie

Function

I have a list of information that I have imported to a worksheet. In this
list here is a column of Townships coded as numbers. I have created a list
of the townships on another sheet (township-names) with the corresponding
number in another column. Is there a function that I can use to look up the
township name and replace the number in the original worksheet which I have
imported?
--
Ronnie

Jacob Skaria

Function

Why not insert a column beside the old township numbers and use VLOOKUP() to
lookup the new numbers.

Lookup value would be Sheet old!townshipname

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Ronnie" wrote:

I have a list of information that I have imported to a worksheet. In this
list here is a column of Townships coded as numbers. I have created a list
of the townships on another sheet (township-names) with the corresponding
number in another column. Is there a function that I can use to look up the
township name and replace the number in the original worksheet which I have
imported?
--
Ronnie

Ronnie

Function

I'm still working on getting the VLOOKUP to work. I must be doing something
wrong.
--
Ronnie

"Ronnie" wrote:

I have a list of information that I have imported to a worksheet. In this
list here is a column of Townships coded as numbers. I have created a list
of the townships on another sheet (township-names) with the corresponding
number in another column. Is there a function that I can use to look up the
township name and replace the number in the original worksheet which I have
imported?
--
Ronnie

Gord Dibben

Function

Post the VLOOKUP formula.

The basics are =VLOOKUP(cell,table range,column index,false)

You have a list of ID numbers in Sheet1 column A to A200

In colulmn B enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$200,2,FALSE)

Copy down to B200

Where Sheet2 coumn A is ID numbers and Column B is township names.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP