-   -   Embedded Fonts (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/2414-embedded-fonts.html)

alphaserver

Embedded Fonts

I have some worksheets that were created from an earlier version of Excel.
They have an embedded font called Arial Baltic. My current version on Office
2003/XP does not have this font in it's list of installed fonts. How can
obtain the Arial Baltic font for installation ? Is there some way to capture
it from an older worksheet?

Dave Peterson

I don't think that that font was actually embedded in an excel workbook (excel
doesn't work the same way MSWord does).

But maybe you could borrow the font from the old pc and install it on the new
pc.

I did a simple search in Google and it looked like that this font is associated
with multilanguage support (win95 for the page I found). Not sure how that
affects you.

--

Dave Peterson

alphaserver

Thanks Dave for your response, happy Holidays. However, the Arial Baltic is
formatted in certain cells of an older workbook that I can open with XL03.
Maybe I used the wrong term "embedded font" but it there. It carries the
characteristics of that particular font. I can also copy and paste
"formatting" and get the font to other cells. I would like to have the font
installed in XP so it can be available to the entire application.
The old PC has gone away. All I have is a migrated workbook. I don't have a
need for Multilingual support.

alphaserver wrote:

I have some worksheets that were created from an earlier version of Excel.
They have an embedded font called Arial Baltic. My current version on Office
2003/XP does not have this font in it's list of installed fonts. How can
obtain the Arial Baltic font for installation ? Is there some way to capture
it from an older worksheet?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If the cell was formatted with a font that doesn't exist on that pc, then the
font name box will still show the name--but it's not really that font.

I believe that windows is smart enough to do a font substitution and use a font
that is similar (if it can figure that out) or just an existing font (if it
doesn't know enough to find a similar font).

alphaserver wrote:

I have some worksheets that were created from an earlier version of Excel.
They have an embedded font called Arial Baltic. My current version on Office
2003/XP does not have this font in it's list of installed fonts. How can
obtain the Arial Baltic font for installation ? Is there some way to capture
it from an older worksheet?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

alphaserver

Interesting. I had read about font substitution. Then what font is it? If XL
can't embedd fonts, then the font I want is on my puter, I'll just have to
try to figure out which one it is!

alphaserver wrote:

I have some worksheets that were created from an earlier version of Excel.
They have an embedded font called Arial Baltic. My current version on Office
2003/XP does not have this font in it's list of installed fonts. How can
obtain the Arial Baltic font for installation ? Is there some way to capture
it from an older worksheet?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I created a workbook and formatted some cells with a font. (I closed/saved that
workbook and backed up the font. Then I deleted that font.

When I reopened the workbook, it looked like it was Times New Roman. But I'm
not sure if that will work for all systems/fonts.

If you don't get a good answer here, you may want to try a windows newsgroup (or
font newsgroup) or even searching google.