-   -   Change Dots into Commas as Decimal Divider (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/24130-change-dots-into-commas-decimal-divider.html)

xenia

Change Dots into Commas as Decimal Divider

Hello

I wonder if anybody can help?

I create a lot of automated reports. These reports include costing and
percentages, with several decimal places. In the English format the "1000
Seperator" is a comma, and the decimal places are seperated with a dot.

Now the problem:
I have to send the reports to clients in mainland Europe, where the "1000
Seperator" is a dot, and the decimal places are seperated with a comma.
So far I could only remove the "1000 Seperator" entirely (in Format cells),
send it to the Europeans, and they had to change the Comma on the decimal
palces manually. Sometimes this is very difficult, since Excel in Europe
treats that dot like a "1000 Seperator", and removes the 0 in front of the
dot.

I cannot ask them to change their country setting, since they need to use
their country specific settings for everything they are doing. ALso I cannot
change my settings, since I work with English/America clients also.

Is there any way to automatically transfer the commas into dots, and vise
versa?

Thanx

Marty

You said: I cannot ask them to change their country setting..." I'm not
sure this is what you're talking about or not so I apologize in advance if
you are. When I went in to Control Panel Regional and Language Options
Customize I changed the . to a "," for decimal numbers. Then I changed ","
for a "." for 1000 separator. Then I opened Excel, typed in a number and the
number looked like this: 120.000.000,00; just what I expected. I saved the
WS; changed the settings back to the way the were; then I reopened the WS and
the number appeared like this: 120,000,000.00. It would seem to me that if
everyone had their Regional Settings in Control Panel set to their specific
country's format nobody would have to change anything. Have you explored
this option?

Marty

"xenia" wrote:

[...]

szymon

hi,
you may try changing the setting for decimal places in
tools/options/international from commas to dots and save the document
in this setting.
hope this's helped......

--
szymon