-   -   Column headings display as a numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/240262-column-headings-display-numbers.html)

Cynthia

Column headings display as a numbers

Occasionally when I launch excel the column headings and row are displayed as
numbers. As a result if you click in cell A1 it will display in the cell
reference box as R1C1. Thus I can not figure out how to type in formulas or
review them since I have not idea what these references mean.

Luke M

Column headings display as a numbers

Under Tools - Options, General:
Uncheck R1C1 style reference.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Cynthia" wrote:

Occasionally when I launch excel the column headings and row are displayed as
numbers. As a result if you click in cell A1 it will display in the cell
reference box as R1C1. Thus I can not figure out how to type in formulas or
review them since I have not idea what these references mean.

Jacob Skaria

Column headings display as a numbers

Uncheck ToolsOptionsGeneral'R1C1' reference style

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cynthia" wrote:

Occasionally when I launch excel the column headings and row are displayed as
numbers. As a result if you click in cell A1 it will display in the cell
reference box as R1C1. Thus I can not figure out how to type in formulas or
review them since I have not idea what these references mean.

Cynthia

Column headings display as a numbers

Thank you very much. We had no idea why this happens on occasion.

"Cynthia" wrote:

Occasionally when I launch excel the column headings and row are displayed as
numbers. As a result if you click in cell A1 it will display in the cell
reference box as R1C1. Thus I can not figure out how to type in formulas or
review them since I have not idea what these references mean.

Dave Peterson

Column headings display as a numbers

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
If you're unlucky enough that your first workbook opened is in R1C1 reference
style, you'll have to make the change.

Do you save the workbook after you make the change to A1 reference style?

Do you have a coworker who likes R1C1 and saves it that way? (Could mean a
fight!)

"Cynthia" wrote:

Occasionally when I launch excel the column headings and row are displayed as
numbers. As a result if you click in cell A1 it will display in the cell
reference box as R1C1. Thus I can not figure out how to type in formulas or
review them since I have not idea what these references mean.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Column headings display as a numbers