-   -   match a word in a cell and copy anoher cell in the same row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/239986-match-word-cell-copy-anoher-cell-same-row.html)

Lise

match a word in a cell and copy anoher cell in the same row

Hi - sorry another question from me today!

Is there a formula or way to achieve the following please

I want to search through a column (say column B) containing both words and
numbers to see if any cell in that column contains a specific word if it does
I want the corresponding cell in column A (same row) to copy into a thirds
column.

Hope this makes sense
--
Thanks

Lise

Jacob Skaria

match a word in a cell and copy anoher cell in the same row

The below formula would return value of ColA if the text in ColB contains the
word BK. Copy the formula to C1 and copy down as required

Col A Col B Col C
John BK1234 =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("BK",B1)),"",A1)
Mary BK4563
Joe BK5356
Maria AB1234

If this post helps click Yes