-   -   To Bob(regarding drop downs)- Pls reply (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/23967-bob-regarding-drop-downs-pls-reply.html)

Dharsh

To Bob(regarding drop downs)- Pls reply

Thanks sooooo much for the prompt reply Bob.
I am not sure how I'd modify this to apply it to my
spread sheet.I'd really appreciate it if you could reply
to this one as well.

Say in Column B i have a couple of L and a couple of Ms
(first 4 rows). So when I add it up , it should give me
(1+1+2+2)=6. How will I change the equation you just gave
me to apply it to this column and rows?

Thanks in anticipation

Bob Phillips

Here is one way for B2:B100, use

=SUMPRODUCT(((B2:B100="L")*1)+(B2:B100="M")*2+(B2: B100="H")*3)

--

HTH

RP

"Dharsh" wrote in message
Thanks sooooo much for the prompt reply Bob.
I am not sure how I'd modify this to apply it to my
spread sheet.I'd really appreciate it if you could reply
to this one as well.

Say in Column B i have a couple of L and a couple of Ms
(first 4 rows). So when I add it up , it should give me
(1+1+2+2)=6. How will I change the equation you just gave
me to apply it to this column and rows?

Thanks in anticipation

Bob Phillips

.... or more simply

=SUMPRODUCT(((B2:B100={"L","M","H"})*{1,2,3}))

--

HTH

RP