-   -   fill in empty cells with previous entry in column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/239639-fill-empty-cells-previous-entry-column.html)

Allan

fill in empty cells with previous entry in column

I have a data set that represents a report from a instrument.

The instrument does not report values every time entry, so i want the value
at the next time entry to read the previous...(ex. 2.20.0, 2.21.1 to 1.41)
until the next value entry from the instrument (1.73)
I could do this manually but my data file is large and I wondered if there
is a function or a macro that will address this issue.

time (t) value

02:14.6 1.41
02:20.0
02:21.1
02:21.5 1.73
02:24.5
02:51.0
03:22.8 1.11
03:33.4
03:39.8
03:43.2
03:54.1
04:10.5
04:16.3 1.34

Sean Timmons

fill in empty cells with previous entry in column

in your first blank, enter, presumably, =B3. Cpy this formula, highlight
your entire column, Edit/Go to/Special/Blanks and paste.

"allan" wrote:

[...]

Luke M

fill in empty cells with previous entry in column

Select your entire value column. Then press Ctrl+G, click special, choose
blank.
Then, assuming your first blank cell is B3, type
=B2
HOWEVER, use Ctrl+Enter to confirm formula, not just enter. All the blank
cells will now reference the cell above them.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M