Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column A is Off-screen (no, it's not hidden)

I was working away on a spreadsheet when I noticed that Column A had
disappeared.

I first thought that I had somehow "hidden" it, so I ran the command to
unhide column A. Column A did not reappear.

I have discovered that if I <Alt<Tab from column B, the cursor moves off
the left side of the window, effectively disappearing, and the A1 cell ID
appears in the "Name Box" pane, and the contents of A1 appears in the "fx"
pane.

So column A isn't hidden, it's just somewhere off the left side of the Excel
window.

Can someone tell me how I can get column A to actually be displayed?

Office Excel 2003, sp3.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When a column is "hidden" XL gives it a width of 0.

As long as the width is *not 0*, it's not considered "hidden", so UNHIDE
doesn't work.

Just increase the column width!
--
HTH,

RD

"Mike Hartsough" wrote in message
I was working away on a spreadsheet when I noticed that Column A had
disappeared.

I first thought that I had somehow "hidden" it, so I ran the command to
unhide column A. Column A did not reappear.

I have discovered that if I <Alt<Tab from column B, the cursor moves off
the left side of the window, effectively disappearing, and the A1 cell ID
appears in the "Name Box" pane, and the contents of A1 appears in the "fx"
pane.

So column A isn't hidden, it's just somewhere off the left side of the
Excel
window.

Can someone tell me how I can get column A to actually be displayed?

Office Excel 2003, sp3.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another possibility...
You moved Column A off screen.
You added a Freeze Pane
The window is now frozen with Column A off of the screen.

To fix just remove the freeze pane.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike Hartsough" wrote:

I was working away on a spreadsheet when I noticed that Column A had
disappeared.

I first thought that I had somehow "hidden" it, so I ran the command to
unhide column A. Column A did not reappear.

I have discovered that if I <Alt<Tab from column B, the cursor moves off
the left side of the window, effectively disappearing, and the A1 cell ID
appears in the "Name Box" pane, and the contents of A1 appears in the "fx"
pane.

So column A isn't hidden, it's just somewhere off the left side of the Excel
window.

Can someone tell me how I can get column A to actually be displayed?

Office Excel 2003, sp3.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Doh!

It was the Freeze pane that did it.

I got my column A back.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

"Mike Hartsough" wrote:

I was working away on a spreadsheet when I noticed that Column A had
disappeared.

I first thought that I had somehow "hidden" it, so I ran the command to
unhide column A. Column A did not reappear.

I have discovered that if I <Alt<Tab from column B, the cursor moves off
the left side of the window, effectively disappearing, and the A1 cell ID
appears in the "Name Box" pane, and the contents of A1 appears in the "fx"
pane.

So column A isn't hidden, it's just somewhere off the left side of the Excel
window.

Can someone tell me how I can get column A to actually be displayed?

Office Excel 2003, sp3.

Thanks,
Mike

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that I had already tried increasing the
column width. It was already set to 14, but I increased it to 30 just in
case, but that didn't "reveal" the column.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mike