-   -   COUNTIF problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/239223-countif-problem.html)

kitbanting

COUNTIF problem

I am using countif to check for the occurence of a string of text but as the
range of cells is using data from another spreadsheet it doesn't recognise
the text as text. How do I get round this? It worls in previous versions of
excel but not in 2007 for some reason.

Jacob Skaria

COUNTIF problem

Do you mean a wildcard search as below with *

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*searchword*")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"kitbanting" wrote:

I am using countif to check for the occurence of a string of text but as the
range of cells is using data from another spreadsheet it doesn't recognise
the text as text. How do I get round this? It worls in previous versions of
excel but not in 2007 for some reason.

kitbanting

COUNTIF problem

No,

the formula is for example "=COUNTIF(B3:B37,teams!A13)" where teams is a
list of 20 three letter values and the value in the range is for example
"=Players!B4", where the screen value is one of the 20 teams. If I replace
the value of B4 with the text value it is OK. I have been using this same
spreadsheet with Excell 2000 for years but have recently upgraded to 2007 so
I don't know if there is something new that I have missed.

"kitbanting" wrote:

I am using countif to check for the occurence of a string of text but as the
range of cells is using data from another spreadsheet it doesn't recognise
the text as text. How do I get round this? It worls in previous versions of
excel but not in 2007 for some reason.

Jacob Skaria

COUNTIF problem

Check whether the below works