-   -   converting commodity prices (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/238680-converting-commodity-prices.html)

stifler421

converting commodity prices

I am attempting to convert commodity prices from a web query and cannot seem
to make it happen. The prices are in one column ( and example "339'4") so
properly converted it should read $3.395. I can do it use a text to columns,
but that is not automated and would prefer not to have to run the text to
columns everytime.

Gary Keramidas

converting commodity prices

record a macro while you do it and see what happens.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"stifler421" wrote in message
I am attempting to convert commodity prices from a web query and cannot
seem
to make it happen. The prices are in one column ( and example "339'4") so
properly converted it should read $3.395. I can do it use a text to
columns,
but that is not automated and would prefer not to have to run the text to
columns everytime.

T. Valko

converting commodity prices

Assuming the string *always* starts with 3 digits.

Try this:

=--(TEXT(LEFT(A1,3)/100,"0.00")&(RIGHT(A1)/8)*1000)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP