-   -   Why is formula displayed? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/238397-why-formula-displayed.html)

evoxfan

Why is formula displayed?

I am in cell G307. This is my formula:
=VLOOKUP(F306,$f$27:$g306,2)
This is the results:
VENDOR ONE

But when I hit enter to finalize the formula, the formula is displayed in
the cell not the answer.

How can I correct this so that the results are visible and the formula is
not shown in the cell?
Other formulas are working correctly, but I do have a filter on if that
makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Niek Otten

Why is formula displayed?

The cell was formatted as text before you entered the formula.
Format as General (or number) AND re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER): just
re-formatting is not enough.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"evoxfan" wrote in message
I am in cell G307. This is my formula:
=VLOOKUP(F306,$f$27:$g306,2)
This is the results:
VENDOR ONE

But when I hit enter to finalize the formula, the formula is displayed in
the cell not the answer.

How can I correct this so that the results are visible and the formula is
not shown in the cell?
Other formulas are working correctly, but I do have a filter on if that
makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

rita

Why is formula displayed?

Hi Niek,
I encountered the same problem, reformatted the cells to number and here's
what happened:
1) when I keyed in a cell-by-cell formula, it worked:
=A48+A44+A38+A32+A26+A20+A14+A8+A3
2) when I try to sum a range with the auto sum button, which returns
=SUM(A3:A48), I get zero.
I just switched to Excel 2007; NEVER had this problem with 2003. There must
be something really dumb I am overlooking.
Thanks for your help!
Rita

"evoxfan" wrote in message
I am in cell G307. This is my formula:
=VLOOKUP(F306,$f$27:$g306,2)
This is the results:
VENDOR ONE

But when I hit enter to finalize the formula, the formula is displayed in
the cell not the answer.

How can I correct this so that the results are visible and the formula is
not shown in the cell?
Other formulas are working correctly, but I do have a filter on if that
makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Niek Otten

Why is formula displayed?

The "ne,bers" you are trying to sum are text, not numbers. The SUM()
function and the addition operator treat them differently.

Copy an empty cell. Select the "numbers". PastePaste Special, check Add.
Now they are numbers.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"evoxfan" wrote in message
I am in cell G307. This is my formula:
=VLOOKUP(F306,$f$27:$g306,2)
This is the results:
VENDOR ONE

But when I hit enter to finalize the formula, the formula is displayed
in
the cell not the answer.

How can I correct this so that the results are visible and the formula
is
not shown in the cell?
Other formulas are working correctly, but I do have a filter on if that
makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

rita

Why is formula displayed?