-   -   Wild Card for IF statement? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/238061-wild-card-if-statement.html)

John[_27_]

Wild Card for IF statement?

I think this is simple but I can't figure it out. I am trying to
make a logic string such that I will get "TBD", "In Progress" or
"Complete" text in a cell depending on the content of 2 other cells.
I have 3 columns: Training Start Date; Training Completed Date and
Training Status. If there are no dates entered in either date
column- I want the status cell to say "TBD" if a date has been entered
in the Start Date column the status column should say "In Process" and
"Completed" in the status column if there is a date in the Date
Completed column.

I am not trying to verify the dates or anything fancy - just change
the text in the status cell.

I can do it with an IF statement if I could figure out the wild card
for "any character" in a cell. The wild card for NO characters in a
cell is "" - I thought the any character wild card should be "*" but
that does not work. If I use =IF(A1="*", "In Progress", "TBD") and
there is nothing in A1 I get "TBD", if I put a date in A1 I still get
"TBD". If I use =IF(A1="","In process", "TBD" - nothing in A1 gives
me "In Process" and any character in A1 gives me "TBD"/

Suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Frusterated John

Gary Keramidas

Wild Card for IF statement?

see if this will work if you put it in c1 and then put dates in a1 and b1.

=IF(AND(A11,B1=0),"In Progress",IF(AND(A10,B10),"Complete","TBD"))

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Rick Rothstein

Wild Card for IF statement?

I can do it with an IF statement if I could figure out the
wild card for "any character" in a cell.

No wild card needed. Since you know that "" stands for no characters, then
simply test if there are no characters and use that as your deciding
logic...

=IF(A1<"","There's something in the cell","Cell is empty")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"John" wrote in message
[...]

francis

Wild Card for IF statement?

Hi John

Assuming your headers are in first row, in Training Status, C2
try the below formula
=IF(AND(A2<"",B2<""),"Completed",IF(A2<"","In Progress","TBD"))
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another