hrh frank

Default currency icon (british pounds)

I want to format columns in excel using the currency icon in the toolbar.
When I click on this I get the accountancy formatting, ie the pound sign £
appears at the extreme left of the cell and not directly in front of the
number (eg £ 123.45 not £123.45). So how do I make the currency icon work
properly ?
hrh frank

Thanks BOB. your suggestion does work, but would take 5 keystrokes. I want
to be able to highlight a column, click on a toolbar icon, and for all the
numbers to be then formatted as currency. So I need to customise a toolbar
icon to do this. any ideas ?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Set a custom format (FormatCellsCustom) of £#,##0.00;£(#,##0.00)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"hrh frank" <hrh wrote in message
I want to format columns in excel using the currency icon in the toolbar.
When I click on this I get the accountancy formatting, ie the pound sign £
appears at the extreme left of the cell and not directly in front of the
number (eg £ 123.45 not £123.45). So how do I make the currency icon

work
properly ?

Bob Phillips

Add this to the Thisworkbook code module

ActiveWorkbook.Styles("Currency").NumberFormat = _
"_-£* #,##0.00_-;-£* #,##0.00_-;_-£* ""-""??_-;_-@_-"
Selection.Style = "Currency"
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWorkbook.Styles("Currency").NumberFormat = _
"£#,##0.00;£(#,##0.00)"
Selection.Style = "Currency"

HTH

Bob Phillips

"hrh frank" wrote in message
Hi Gord,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried it and it works perfrctly,

thankyou.
Only one thing, you have to do this everytime you open a new workbook. Is
there a way to make this a permanent fix, without making a template ?

hrh frank

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

frank

FormatStyleCurrencyModifyCustom.

Change to Bob's format and OK your way out.

That sets the default for the Currency button.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP