-   -   Excel 2007 Loses Formula Detail (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/237555-excel-2007-loses-formula-detail.html)

samcham

Excel 2007 Loses Formula Detail

I'm new to Excel 2007. I've noticed that when I enter a formula in a cell
(such as =2*6*4) Excel will change the formula to its value, in this example
3.

I would like to keep the detail. How can I turn this off?

Jacob Skaria

Excel 2007 Loses Formula Detail

Format the cell to Text before entering (Right clickFormatCellsselect Text)

Or

Prefix with a apostrophe like
'2*6*4

OR

If you want to display your formulas; you can hit the key combination Ctrl + ~

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"samcham" wrote:

I'm new to Excel 2007. I've noticed that when I enter a formula in a cell
(such as =2*6*4) Excel will change the formula to its value, in this example
3.

I would like to keep the detail. How can I turn this off?

samcham

Excel 2007 Loses Formula Detail

Thanks for the reply, Jacob.

I need to see and use the results of the formula, so the first two options
won't work.

The problem is that Excel is changing the cell contents, effectively erasing
the formula and replacing it with the result. That's what I need to turn off.