-   -   sort column data with hidden columns - excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/23684-sort-column-data-hidden-columns-excel-2003-a.html)

nanimadrina

sort column data with hidden columns - excel 2003

I want to sort on a column of data (card #) where my worksheet has hidden
columns. I read in help that I should unhide the columns, but I am trying to
avoid that because it is a corporate worksheet and I have to copy/paste data
into it each month.

Is there any other way that I can accomplish a sort with hidden columns? I
have zero experience with macros...would a macro be able to sort data with
hidden columns in it?

HELP! I'm trying to find a way to save hundreds of hours/year in gas
receipt reconciliations...

CyberTaz

Hi 'nan'-

As long as your data is arranged in consecutive columns and rows with
captions (field names) in the first row, there is no problem.

Place your cell selector in your records (anywhere), then go to DataSort
and specify up to three sort fields, ascending/descending. The records will
be sorted accordingly, including the content in hidden columns.

HTH |:)

"nanimadrina" wrote:

I want to sort on a column of data (card #) where my worksheet has hidden
columns. I read in help that I should unhide the columns, but I am trying to
avoid that because it is a corporate worksheet and I have to copy/paste data
into it each month.

Is there any other way that I can accomplish a sort with hidden columns? I
have zero experience with macros...would a macro be able to sort data with
hidden columns in it?

HELP! I'm trying to find a way to save hundreds of hours/year in gas
receipt reconciliations...

Gord Dibben

Just make sure you include the hidden columns in the sort range.

i.e.

Data in A through M

D through L are hidden.

Select A through M and DataSort.

The hidden columns will sort along with the others because sorting is being
done by rows.

Works the same with hidden rows if sorting left to right.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP