-   -   Averaging Data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/235539-averaging-data.html)

FGE-carl

Averaging Data

I have a database set up in excel and I would like to extract data from
certain columns and take an average of that data. However, I need to average
the data in decimal format that is seperated by whole numbers. I need to
eliminate the whole numbers and just take the average of the inbetween data.
Also, the data is always changing and there is no set "Cell Location." I need
to be able to run this with an arbitrary amount of cells.

Bernie Deitrick

Averaging Data

Carl,

You need to explain your requirements with an example table of values, and what average you would
expect based on your example.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"FGE-carl" wrote in message
I have a database set up in excel and I would like to extract data from
certain columns and take an average of that data. However, I need to average
the data in decimal format that is seperated by whole numbers. I need to
eliminate the whole numbers and just take the average of the inbetween data.
Also, the data is always changing and there is no set "Cell Location." I need
to be able to run this with an arbitrary amount of cells.

Bernard Liengme[_3_]

Averaging Data

Part 1: Here is some data in column A and the fractional parts in column B
Note that although the non-integer part is shown as a decimal, it is still
referred to as the 'fractional part'

1.3 0.3
5.6 0.6
7.8 0.8
9.5 0.5
4.6 0.6
3.5 0.5
7.7 0.7
1.4 0.4
9.4 0.4
7.3 0.3

If you use =AVERAGE(B1:B10) you get 0.51
To get the result without the 'helper column' use =AVERAGE(MOD(A1:A10,1))
This is an array formula and must be entered using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just
ENTER
--
Bernard V Liengme

http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme