-   -   Can a formula place a value in another cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/235469-can-formula-place-value-another-cell.html)

default105

Can a formula place a value in another cell

with excel 2000, can a formula place a value in another cell or can this only
be done with vba or a macro
--
Pete Blackburn - words to live by:
"Don''t ever let somebody tell you. You can''t do something.You got a

Dave Peterson

Can a formula place a value in another cell

Functions called from cells on worksheets can only return values to that cell
(with very minor exceptions).

You may want to look at worksheet/workbook/application events that will touch
other cells.

default105 wrote:

with excel 2000, can a formula place a value in another cell or can this only
be done with vba or a macro
--
Pete Blackburn - words to live by:
"Don''t ever let somebody tell you. You can''t do something.You got a
dream,You gotta protect it." Edited Quote from the Pursuit Of Happiness

--

Dave Peterson

FSt1

Can a formula place a value in another cell

hi
no. a formula can only return values to the cell in which it resides. it can
not put values in other cells nor can it perform actions. only macro code can
do this.
sorry.
regards
FSt1

"default105" wrote:

with excel 2000, can a formula place a value in another cell or can this only
be done with vba or a macro
--
Pete Blackburn - words to live by:
"Don''t ever let somebody tell you. You can''t do something.You got a
dream,You gotta protect it." Edited Quote from the Pursuit Of Happiness

Don Guillett

Can a formula place a value in another cell

A formula may not do that but you can use =a1 to get the data in a1.
However, you may use a worksheet_change event macro in the sheet module that
when a1 is changed will do whatever is desired to the other cell.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"default105" wrote in message
with excel 2000, can a formula place a value in another cell or can this
only
be done with vba or a macro
--
Pete Blackburn - words to live by:
"Don''t ever let somebody tell you. You can''t do something.You got a
dream,You gotta protect it." Edited Quote from the Pursuit Of Happiness

default105

Can a formula place a value in another cell

Since my workbook is formula driven based on one cell on one worksheet and
the value I need to change resides on another worksheet, what event would be
better to use. This one cell changes the data on 12 worksheets.
--

"Don Guillett" wrote:

A formula may not do that but you can use =a1 to get the data in a1.
However, you may use a worksheet_change event macro in the sheet module that
when a1 is changed will do whatever is desired to the other cell.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"default105" wrote in message
with excel 2000, can a formula place a value in another cell or can this
only
be done with vba or a macro
--
Pete Blackburn - words to live by:
"Don''t ever let somebody tell you. You can''t do something.You got a
dream,You gotta protect it." Edited Quote from the Pursuit Of Happiness

Don Guillett

Can a formula place a value in another cell

As I said, a worksheet change event. Right click the sheet tabview
code
If all else fails
If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.