-   -   Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/235408-excel-2003-cell-references-32-refs-no-more-highlighting.html)

TimK

Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting?

I just got upgraded to Vista and Excel 2003, however one fluke has appeared.
If I reference more than 32 cells within a formula and I hit F2 to edit the
formula, I lose the (previously known) highlighting function, i.e., prior to
this, all the referenced cells would be higlighted in different colors.
Is there some new option I have to select to enable this?

Gord Dibben

Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting?

Has nothing to do with upgrading.

Excel has a 30 argument limit so anything over that won't be highlighted.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:04:02 -0700, TimK
wrote:

I just got upgraded to Vista and Excel 2003, however one fluke has appeared.
If I reference more than 32 cells within a formula and I hit F2 to edit the
formula, I lose the (previously known) highlighting function, i.e., prior to
this, all the referenced cells would be higlighted in different colors.
Is there some new option I have to select to enable this?

TimK

Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting?

This didn't happen with Excel in Windows XP

wrote:

I just got upgraded to Vista and Excel 2003, however one fluke has appeared.
If I reference more than 32 cells within a formula and I hit F2 to edit the
formula, I lose the (previously known) highlighting function, i.e., prior to
this, all the referenced cells would be higlighted in different colors.
Is there some new option I have to select to enable this?

Bernie Deitrick

Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting?

This didn't happen with Excel in Windows XP

Actually, it deos. I only get highlights for 32 references in Excel 2003 under Windows XP.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

Excel 2003 cell references - 32 refs - no more highlighting?

Yes it did.

After 32(not 30) as I stated.

Gord