Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default linking to links

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Referring cell B2 will return the value...

=B2
OR
=B2+<your formula

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"mariekek5" wrote:

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jacob for your quick response.

I know when I just need B2, that it works using =B2

But I am using an INDEX/MATCH formula as follwows:

=INDEX('data sheet'!$1:$65536;MATCH(B2;'data
sheet'!$A:$A;0);MATCH("*number*";'data sheet'!$1:$1;0))

IN this case it does not work. Whereas if I put "123" instead of B2 it does
work. But I just want to use the cell name....

"mariekek5" wrote:

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That should work anyway.

1. The 123 generated from formula may not be exactly 123. Do you have any
decimals formatted to display as (no decimals)

2. IF you have entries in ColA and Row1 are exactly 123 try using INT(B2)
instead of B2 to handle the decimals...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"mariekek5" wrote:

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, the '123' was just an example. The real value in B2 is a
productname, 'Sprite'. BUt this sprite is already linked from another sheet.
Thus underneath the Sprite there is another formula.

When I enter the INDEX formula and I use "Sprite" it works. But if I use the
formula and I use B2 it does not work. So I am looking for something that
Excel knows that I want the B2 itself, and not the formula underneath....like
maybe brackets or something....[B2] of {B2} ....

I hope you understand what I mean.

"mariekek5" wrote:

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A wild guess..Check for any spaces in the formula return text...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"mariekek5" wrote:

In case B2 has the value 123, but that 123 is based on another formula. How
then can I link to the '123' in B2? If I do not just want to put in '123'.

Can I use some kind of brackets, indicating that I need the text in B2 and
not the formula underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

checked...not the case...

It really looks as if I should add something to the formula which makes
clear I need the value from B2, and not the formula.

Because when I want to find something, through control F, then also I need
to change lookin from formula to value. So thats why I thought I need to make
Excel clear that I need the value in B2, and not the formula underneath it...