-   -   Disappearing Excel files when more than one open (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/235130-disappearing-excel-files-when-more-than-one-open.html)

jmks

Disappearing Excel files when more than one open

Hi,
I need to have two excel files open at once. It only happens with a
particular file, once I open, and then minimize it, when I go back to
maximize it, it disappear altogether, but it's still showing as "open" if
that makes any sense at all. It seems to only happen with a particular file.
Can anyone help??

smartin

jmks wrote:
Hi,
I need to have two excel files open at once. It only happens with a
particular file, once I open, and then minimize it, when I go back to
maximize it, it disappear altogether, but it's still showing as "open" if
that makes any sense at all. It seems to only happen with a particular file.
Can anyone help??

Hmm, occasionally I have a program that "disappears" because it has
seemingly somehow placed itself outside the viewable desktop or set its
size to one pixel, effectively making it impossible to find.

Here's something that works for me sometimes. Assuming you mean you have
two files open in separate instances of Excel (i.e., single document
interface), after maximizing (and you can't actually see the window),
try pressing Alt+Shift. The options for "Move, Size, Minimize" etc.
should appear out of thin air. Try using the keyboard (arrow down) to
select Move, press Enter, then play with the arrow keys. Or try using
the mouse to click Size, then click the mouse elsewhere on the desktop.
Or try combinations of the above.

If you have two files open in the same instance of Excel (multiple
document interface), the procedure is the same except press Alt+- (alt
minus) instead of Alt+Space.