-   -   VLOOKUP functionality (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/233641-vlookup-functionality.html)

Crimson King

VLOOKUP functionality

How can I get results from an unsorted database in Excel similar to the way
VLOOKUP works in a sorted database
--
Many Thanks,
CK

T. Valko

VLOOKUP functionality

So, does that mean if an exact match isn't found you want the closest match
that is less than the lookup value? Are you looking up numbers?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Crimson King" wrote in message
How can I get results from an unsorted database in Excel similar to the
way
VLOOKUP works in a sorted database
--
Many Thanks,
CK

Crimson King

VLOOKUP functionality

Biff, Thanks for the reply...No not looking up numbers - looking up
alphanumericals to return aplhanumericals from a different column. The Look
Up criteria should be an exact match.
--
Many Thanks,
CK

"T. Valko" wrote:

So, does that mean if an exact match isn't found you want the closest match
that is less than the lookup value? Are you looking up numbers?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Crimson King" wrote in message
How can I get results from an unsorted database in Excel similar to the
way
VLOOKUP works in a sorted database
--
Many Thanks,
CK

T. Valko

VLOOKUP functionality

Ok, you can use VLOOKUP for that. Just set the 4th argument to either 0 or
FALSE. That means you want an exact match and the data does not need to be
sorted.

=VLOOKUP(A1,D:E,2,0)
=VLOOKUP(A1,D:E,2,FALSE)

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

So, does that mean if an exact match isn't found you want the closest
match
that is less than the lookup value? Are you looking up numbers?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Crimson King" wrote in message
How can I get results from an unsorted database in Excel similar to the
way
VLOOKUP works in a sorted database
--
Many Thanks,
CK

Crimson King

VLOOKUP functionality

Biff,

Many thanks for your quick and perfect solution.
--
CK