Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Rank in Pivot Table

I created a pivot table that shows sales by customer by month. I grouped the
months into quarters. Now, I would like to rank the customers by sales for
each quarter - give each customer a rank for Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 sales. Is
ranking possible in a pivot table? And, is it possible to have a rank for
each quarter?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

KrispyData wrote:
I created a pivot table that shows sales by customer by month. I grouped the
months into quarters. Now, I would like to rank the customers by sales for
each quarter - give each customer a rank for Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 sales. Is
ranking possible in a pivot table? And, is it possible to have a rank for
each quarter?

Not sure about ranking per-se, but did you know you can tell the PT to
sort categories based on values? Double click a category control (e.g.,
Quarter) | Advanced | Autosort Options | Descending | Using field "sum
of sales" or something similar for a top-down sort. Depending on your PT
layout you can have such sorts within sorts.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2007 Pivot Table
Same procedure as smartin's,
plus a few tricks.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o0mwvn...06_10_09c.xlsx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Very neat, Herbert!
I like the trick of Sales^0 - definitely one to remember.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote in message
Excel 2007 Pivot Table
Same procedure as smartin's,
plus a few tricks.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o0mwvn...06_10_09c.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This partially worked for me, is there any way to control dublicate values,
as we are displaying "Running Total" so every next value is given a No. which
is 1+pervious value, even if the Rank value is equal to previous value:

Value Rank
10 1
9 2
9 3