-   -   Locking only borders and patterns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/232976-locking-only-borders-patterns.html)

TR Young

Locking only borders and patterns

Excel 2003 thru and including 2007

Is it possible to lock or protect ONLY the pattern and/or border formatting
in a select range of cells in any of these versions of Excel?

See my attached .pdf for explaination:
If I were to insert a new row for a new part, I want the existing
pattern/border formatting to stay put so that I don't have to redo the
entire sheet's border/pattern formatting. As it is, if I have to add a row
for a new part, the border/pattern will shift down when I insert the new
row.

Thanks in advance.

Edit.... well, for some reason, I can't attach a 400 kb file. Imagine a
ledger sheet with white and green rows to make viewing easier. that is what
I am trying to accomplish, but not have the formatting move when I insert a
row.

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Locking only borders and patterns

Hi,

Can't see the attached file here.

I don't believe you can lock just those two items.

However in Excel 2007 the Table feature allows you to insert of delete row
and maintain a consistant style. Future you can customize Table Styles all
you want and even make your own.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"TR Young" wrote:

[...]

Shane, I couldn't get a 400kb file to attach.
It would seem to me to be a useful feature in Excel to be able to lock
patterns and borders to certain rows/columns. It's hard to believe that the
programmers at Microsoft haven't come up with that yet.

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in
message ...