-   -   Formulas for Conditional Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/232422-formulas-conditional-formatting.html)

Lisababe

Formulas for Conditional Formatting

Is there a way to use data from one workbook for a new conditional formatting
formula in another?

I need to pull totals from several workbooks and combine in to a separate
workbook. I've tried but it keeps saying you can't refence other workbooks
in formulas. I thought maybe there would be a trick to it.

Sheeloo

Formulas for Conditional Formatting

In source workbook define a name referring to the cell having the test value.
Let us see the name is srcName in book1.xls

Now in your destination workbook define a name which refers to
=book1!srcName

Let us say you call in destName

Now use this in your conditional format in A1
=A1destName

So A1 will be formatted if it has a value greater than the value in the cell
referred to by srcName in the other workbook...

You may test to see whether it works when book1 is closed.