Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Bar contents missing

The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say you have two numbers in A1 and A2, and =A1+A2 in cell A3
If you click A3, are you saying you see nothing in the Formula Bar?
How about if you click A1?
Tell use more, please
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Griffen" wrote in message
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I
have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in
new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your example, if I click on A1, A2 or A3, the formula bar remains blank.
I have to use F2 to edit the cell. Nothing appears in the Form Bar. If I
click on the Formula bar, only the contents of A3 will appear. A1 and A2
show nothing in the Form bar. Does this help?

"Griffen" wrote in message
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I
have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in
new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default That's the issue - thanks

Hello, thanks Dave - that is exactly the issue. I have the same problem and if I switch to the other monitor, it behaves fine. Incidentally, on my machine, it's not the entire excel formula bar that is blank, only the first 8 characters. And if I hit F2 to edit, I loose the first 12 characters. But if I put it on the secondary monitor, everything is fine. (this may be why it seems like an intermittent problem).

Dave Peterson wrote:

Formula Bar contents missing
29-May-09

Griffen wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

On Friday, May 29, 2009 11:56 AM
Griffe wrote:

Formula Bar contents missing
The contents of my worksheet cells do not show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the For

On Friday, May 29, 2009 12:07 PM
Bernard Liengme wrote:

Say you have two numbers in A1 and A2, and =A1+A2 in cell A3If you click A3,
Say you have two numbers in A1 and A2, and =A1+A2 in cell A3
If you click A3, are you saying you see nothing in the Formula Bar?
How about if you click A1?
Tell use more, please
best wishes
--
Bernard

On Friday, May 29, 2009 12:16 PM
Griffe wrote:

In your example, if I click on A1, A2 or A3, the formula bar remains blank.
In your example, if I click on A1, A2 or A3, the formula bar remains blank.
I have to use F2 to edit the cell. Nothing appears in the Form Bar. If I
click on the Formula bar, only the contents of A3

On Friday, May 29, 2009 12:48 PM
Bernard Liengme wrote:

Very odd.
Very odd. I would be tempted to do a repair to Office
I cannot think of any option that hides things from Formula Bar
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengm

Griffen wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

TreeView - JavaScript IE / FireFox IFRAME Combination
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...script-ie.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There have been some people who complained that the text would appear in the
formula bar, but not in the cell in the worksheet.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...09488256478b2d

or

http://snipurl.com/1crbf

Mike Brambley posts a link to a suggestion that worked for him.

Griffen wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

Griffe wrote:

In your example, if I click on A1, A2 or A3, the formula bar remains blank.
In your example, if I click on A1, A2 or A3, the formula bar remains blank.
I have to use F2 to edit the cell. Nothing appears in the Form Bar. If I
click on the Formula bar, only the contents of A3

On Friday, May 29, 2009 12:48 PM

Very odd.

Griffen wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

TreeView - JavaScript IE / FireFox IFRAME Combination
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...script-ie.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cv cv is offline

Default this worked

I had this issue as well. No cell protection of any kind, yet formulas were
not appearing in my formula bar. The cursor would appear at the end of the
invisible text, and if I hit "space" earlier in the formula bar, the whole
string appeared, temporarily.

Anyway, all I had to do was move my excel window from my secondary monitor
to my primary monitor, and it worked. If I select a cell, its contents appear
in the formula bar. It still worked after I moved the window back to my
external monitor.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, May 29, 2009 11:56:01 AM UTC-4, Griffen wrote:
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

I had this same problem just now, and the fix was incredibly easy.

Simply hide your formula bar by going to View Fomula Bar (uncheck). Then "unhide" it by checking "Formula Bar" again.

Hope that helps.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:56:01 PM UTC+1, Griffen wrote:
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

Same problem, contents occasionally briefly displayed in formula bar and disappeared. It was solved by closing and opening excel again. I have no extra monitors, nothing hidden. (I also did the hide formula bar, show formula bar, but that didn't help.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, 29 May 2009 11:56:01 UTC-4, Griffen wrote:
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

Hi, I have had this problem for the past few months. I called Microsoft and they could not fix this. They only respond to queries through this terribly inefficient online chat system. The only solution they gave me was re-installing my Excel on my Mac. That did not solve the issue.
Btw, this actually occurs on my MacBook Air (Office 2008) and my MacBook Pro (Office 2016). I would really appreciate some advice on this.
Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, 29 May 2009 16:56:01 UTC+1, Griffen wrote:
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

I have multiple screens. If I extend the offending sheet to the right, eventually the missing box shows up. the formula button does not.

Closing and reopening the spreadsheet fixes the problem temporarily.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 6:51:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, 29 May 2009 16:56:01 UTC+1, Griffen wrote:
The contents of my worksheet cells don't show up in my formula bars. I have
to use F2 to see and change the contents of my cells. The cells are not
locked or hidden, but nothing shows up in the Formula bar. It happens in new
or older worksheets alike. I'm in ver 2007. Ideas?

I have multiple screens. If I extend the offending sheet to the right, eventually the missing box shows up. the formula button does not.

Closing and reopening the spreadsheet fixes the problem temporarily.

That worked for me! I do not have multiple monitors and none of the other suggestions worked either. Thank you!